Jussie Smollett Returns To Court For 2019 'Hate Crime' Attack

Author:
Updated:
Original:

Former Empire actor Jussie Smollett was back in court this week for matters relating to an incident that took place in 2019.

In January 2019 the actor told police he had been attacked in a racist and homophobic incident. The following month, he was charged with faking the incident.

All charges against him were dropped in March, but then a special prosecutor pursued the case. Smollett was later indicted on six counts of lying to police, to which he pleaded not guilty.

Chicago then sued the actor for wasting police time and resources.

JUSSIE SMOLLETT ON IG LIVE

"Mr. Smollett has refused to reimburse the City of Chicago for the cost of police overtime spent investigating his false police report on January 29, 2019," a spokesperson for the City said, per TMZ said at the time. 

"The Law Department is now drafting a civil complaint that will be filed in the Circuit Court of Cook County. Once it is filed, the Law Department will send a courtesy copy of the complaint to Mr. Smollett's L.A. based legal team."

The city had initially demanded that Smollett pay $130, 000 but Smollett's legal team refused. 

He denies lying about the attack.