More bad news for R. Kelly, as he is going to be flown to New York to face more federal charges.
According to the Chicago Tribune, indicted Kelly will be arraigned on sweeping racketeering charges. Prosecutors allege that Kelly systematically recruited young girls for sexual abuse at concerts across the country. His hearing is scheduled for Brooklyn federal court on Aug. 2. He is also expected at a hearing on Sept. 4 back in Chicago on separate federal charges.
Bond for Kelly has already been denied, although his lawyer has vowed to appeal the decision. Prosecutors argued that allowing Kelly out on bond would be dangerous as he is a flight risk.
"We're talking seventh and eighth-grade girls," Assistant U.S. Attorney Angel Krull said at the hearing Tuesday. "And it didn't happen once or twice. He sexually abused them hundreds of times before they turned 18."
Krull says there may be "dozens more" girls.
Kelly has been in Chicago since July 11, when he was arrested on federal charges including child pornography, racketeering and obstruction of justice — per two indictments out of Chicago and New York City.
The indictments were confirmed by court documents and his lawyer, who issued a statement via Twitter on July 12, saying they “look forward to his day in court, to the truth coming out.”
The singer also faces a separate five-count indictment from the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of New York, It includes charges of racketeering and violations of the Mann Act, which “prohibits transporting people across state lines for the purpose of prostitution,” the New York Times previously reported.
The indictment, obtained by PEOPLE, stated that Kelly and his team — including managers, bodyguards and assistants — “traveled throughout the United States and abroad to perform at concert venues … and to recruit women and girls to engage in illegal sexual activity with Kelly” as far back as 1999.