Skip to main content

De La Soul and their longtime record company, Tommy Boy Records have parted ways after Tommy Boy refused to negotiate a more favorable streaming deal with the hip hop pioneers.

The group took to their Instagram last week to share the sad news with their fans:

"Well friends, after 30 years of profiting from our music and hard work... and after 7 long months of stalled negotiations, we are sad to say that we've been unable to reach an agreement and earn Tommy Boy's respect for our music/legacy," the statement reads.

"With some helpful consulting and long careful consideration, we've decided we will not do our 30+ years the disservice of settling on Tom Silverman's terms," they wrote.

"Tommy Boy says they are "not in the business of giving artists back their Masters." We realize, there is a process in reclaiming ownership but we do not trust Tommy Boy in this process after so many years of disappointment," the statement continued.

"Therefore, our catalog will not see the light of day by way of our involvement or consent. This means, if you see De La Soul music/albums available for streaming or purchase anywhere, BE AWARE, all parties involved WILL profit but De La Soul WILL NOT benefit or earn deservedly/fairly. We really tried. More details to come," they shared.

The group had been working hard to come to an amicable arrangement. Tommy Boy was reportedly demanding 90% of the streaming profits of De La's early catalog - leaving only 10% for the entire group.

They are asking fans to boycott anything of Del La Soul's catalog which falls under the Tommy Boy umbrella.